Small Interview with Wololo from Wololo.net
I set up a small interview with Wololo to see what what information I can get about VHBL. Wololo and his team are working on for the PS Vita Home-brew support 24/7 stumbling on issues but that has not stopped them from continuing.
1) What are the main concerns of holding VHBL on firmware 1.69/169.1?
There are 2 main reasons we are not releasing a new version of VHBL for now. One is that we are waiting for a “fallback” exploit in order to always have “one extra” VHBL exploit just in case. The second is that we are waiting for a worthwhile firmware update. 1.69 isn’t even compulsory, so people who really wanted VHBL for 1.69 are the people who already got it on 1.67 with super Collapse 3.
2) Any plans on holding until 1.8 Firmware?
Yes, I think lots of people are expecting to be able to play PS1 classic games, so releasing VHBL after that would be the best. I don’t entirely own the decision though, I am not the person behind the hacks, I am just one of the devs of VHBL, and I just happen to blog about it a lot.
3) Any there any vulnerabilities besides save hacks ?
There are lots of software “glitches” on the Vita. I am unable to tell for now if some of them are actual vulnerabilities that could be exploited one day.
4) Is it possible to find PSP game hacks that will enable more than just user mode on the PS Vita?
I’ve answered that in length in some of my articles [note, is it ok to link to these articles in the interview?], especially here: http://wololo.net/2012/07/04/the-curren … a-hacking/ and here: http://wololo.net/2012/04/09/where-are- … ita-hacks/
But to summarize: PSP kernel exploits on the vita are a reality, and lots of teams are working on them. I would not be surprised to see a SCFW (Sandboxed CFW, a psp cfw inside the psp emulator) coming to the vita in the months to come. As far as “pure vita hacks” are concerned, as far as I know this is still a big unknown. The vita is much more secured than the PSP was, from what I have seen so far.
- Tomtomdu80′s VHBL port to be released soon
- Total_Noob announces TN-V for Vita: With XMB & PSN access!
- Good News TN-V to be for All Vita Exploits!
- Tomtomdu80′s port information public announcement