Half Byte Loader Q&A Posted. The Team needs your help!
HBL developer Wololo has today posted a Q&A on his blog in regards to the Half Byte Loader. A FAQ if you will. And it seems the HBL team is just inundated with questions, posting this FAQ might help thwart off some of the common questions. Wololo makes some real valid points. Instead of just letting the team know X homebrew doesn’t work. Why not let the homebrew developer know? After all its up to them to make the adjustments so their homebrew is compatible with HBL.I know a lot of noobs here post comments like “XX Homebrew doesn’t work on HBL”. Or “Will it work on HBL?”
Its really up to the end user to help improve the Half Byte Loader, after all the team has their hands full with now fours versions of HBL for the various exploits. So if you want to do your part. Sign up on the Official Half Byte Loader Forum, use a Dev HBL build, report bugs and submit DBGLOG files.
Half Byte Loader Q&A 12th Sept 2010
- HBL does not load isos, and we have no plan to work on such a feature. This is not for “ideological” or “ethical” reasons, but because it is technically very difficult (if not impossible), and absolutely not our goal. Other teams are of course free to work on such a project, although so far all public attempts at an iso loader in user mode have failed.
- HBL on the golf exploit is still quite unstable, and lots of people are complaining about loading failures, etc… Complaining on my blog will NOT help you getting your problem fixed. If HBL does not run correctly for you, what you need to do is to install the DEV version that matches your version of the game (EU,US,JP), and then submit your DBGLOG file on advancedpsp’s forums, in the dedicated thread . We don’t accept bug reports without a DBGLOG file, not because we don’t like to be mean, but because we can’t help you without this file.
- If you’re not getting a DBGLOG file at all, or if it is empty, you are doing something wrong! Be sure that you are using the version of HBL that matches your game (for example, HBL for the US version of hotshots golf will NOT work on everybody’s golf EU). Also double check that you are copying the files in the correct place on your PSP. If everything else fails, start a thread at advancedpsp.
- We are actively working on fixing the issues, and we have a bug list that we are working on: you can track our progress here.
- More than ever, we need help. By porting HBL to 3 new exploits, we literally multiplied by 4 the amount of work needed, especially for testing. We need developers to help with this project, this is why it is open source. If you want HBL to become better, actively help! We also lack PSPs with firmware 6.31, and UMDs of all the versions of the game to do effective testing, so if you have money and want to help, donations (money, hardware, umds of the game) are more than welcome. Contact me directly by email at [email protected], or check here for donations. Remember that you donate to thank us for the work done so far, and not in expectation of future work.
- It seems the vulnerability exists in the sequel of the hotshots game. Please feel free to write “hello world” proof of concept exploits for hotshots golf 2 or everybody’s golf. Porting them to HBL should then be a matter of days.
- If HBL does not load your favorite homebrew, we accept bug reports on a case per case basis. Basically, if the homebrew is majorly used, OR if the homebrew works on the patapon exploit but not on the golf exploit, OR if the homebrew worked in a previous version of HBL but doesn’t work anymore, then it is a good candidate for bug report. We don’t accept bug reports for homebrews that require kernel mode. If you don’t know if the homebrew requires kernel mode, ask to the homebrew creator.
- The best way for you to get a homebrew to work on HBL, is to contact the author of the homebrew, and talk to them about HBL. HBL now runs major homebrews quite smoothly, and most of the time, “good coding practices” should be enough for a homebrew to run on HBL.
- None Found